Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slowly Moving Along

After a few small changes to our floor plan to accommodate a ten foot clearance to our lot line, we are moving towards the final plans. John Harris wants to start leveling the lot on March 2nd and start backfilling the three feet needed for the foundation. He has also moved the house to within 50 feet of the road, so we are requesting that he try and move it back to 75 feet from the road, if there are no caves under that portion of the lot.


I have started looking at tankless water heaters as a way to save on energy costs. The problem has been finding one that will run on Butane. All manufactures list natural gas or LP but I can't seem to get a straight answer on Butane. It is only a few thousand BTU's hotter than LP, so I can't imagine there would be a problem. I will also be using Butane for our stove and oven so those are other applications I need to look into.


Other issues that need to be dealt with are a DSL/phone connection and a whole house or connection point UPS (uninterrupted power supply). Do I use diesel or Butane for the back-up generator? Is solar going to be cheaper in the near future?

No comments: